June Is Oral Hygiene Month
Have you seen your dentist? June is Oral Hygiene Month, but any month is good to schedule an oral exam if you haven’t had one yet. Everyone, no matter what age, should visit the dentist at least once a year (or better yet, once every six months) for a dental exam. It should include the following:
- Dental cleaning
- Thorough checkup of your mouth, including teeth and gums
- Set of dental x-rays taken if needed
Why is dental health important?
Poor oral health can be a sign of diseases like diabetes and heart disease. Taking good care of your teeth can help avoid tooth decay, gum disease and tooth loss. Seeing a dentist every year is the best way to make sure your mouth is healthy.
How to stay on top of your dental health:
- Brush your teeth twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste.
- Clean between your teeth every day with floss or an interdental brush (a small brush designed to fit between the teeth).
- Limit sugary drinks and snacks. Eat healthy, balanced meals. Cavity-causing bacteria love to eat sugar left behind from sugary drinks and snacks!
- Drink plenty of water to keep your mouth clean.
- See your dentist for an annual exam and cleaning.
- Follow up with your dentist with a six-month checkup and/or any extra visits to complete needed dental work.
If you haven’t already done so this year, why not schedule your annual dental exam and cleaning today?