Healthy Habits Help with Three Common Diseases
Heart disease, high blood pressure, and diabetes are among the most common health problems in
Luckily these healthy habits can help you prevent or live better with all three:
- Eat more fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, fish, lean meats, and poultry.
- Be physically active for 30 minutes, 5 days a week.
- Stay at a healthy weight.
- Don’t smoke. Ask your primary care provider (PCP) if you need help quitting.
- See your PCP for check-ups and take medications if they tell you to.
In addition, it’s important to know your numbers!
If you have high blood pressure, your PCP may ask you to check your blood pressure at home.
If you have diabetes, they may ask you to check your blood sugar and/or your A1C (a measure of your average blood sugar levels over the past few months).
Follow your PCP’s directions on when to test. Write down your results in a notebook or on your
phone so that you can share them.
This information can help you understand how to best treat your disease