What to Do After a Fall
There are steps you can take to prevent falls:
- See your primary care provider (PCP) if you sometimes feel dizzy or off-balance.
- Get your eyes and ears checked regularly.
- Ask your Care Team to help you schedule a home safety assessment.
But even if you’ve done all these things, you may still fall. What do you do then?
- Don’t panic.
- Notice if you have any new or unusual pain.
- If you feel ok, get up slowly and safely.
- If you’re hurt, don’t try to get up. Call for help using your phone or Personal Emergency Response System (PERS) if you have one.
- Stay warm while you wait for help—cover yourself with a blanket if you can and move any parts of your body that are not hurt.
Following these directions may help you avoid making any injuries worse. Call your PCP if you have any concerns after a fall.
If a fall occurs to a friend of loved one, see what you can do by following these steps for helping someone who fell.